Thursday, April 17, 2008

MONO

First Pneumonia, now the girl has Mono. It all makes sense now. Really there is not much you can do about mono except lots of fluids, lots of rest and lots of waiting. The fever should be gone within a few days and then she can go back to school. Its been a week! As long as she's not smooching anyone or otherwise swapping spit, she is NOT contagious. Dr. G informed her that it is the "kissing disease" and we both want to know who she's been kissing!

Tonight before bed she came in to tell me good night and gave me a big hug and then gave me a mournful look before saying, "mama I am gonna miss kissing you!" As if we'll never smooch again.

As for me, I am not anemic and my sonogram today was largely (thank goodness) unremarkable. A few small cysts and a small fibroid. She even checked my kidneys! The tech at Ultrasound Associates was VERY nice to me and I could tell she was a bit on eggshells as my last visit didn't go well. I could tell she had reviewed my record when she coyly tried to pry without prying by asking, "how old is your youngest now?" For those needing a translation that was her way of finding out if Max survived what they called catastophic to me to my 18 week pregnant face. Not a good memory.

Now, I am thinking I might have mono ... hmmmmmmmmm. I am pretty convinced I have found the cause of hypocondria. Parenthood. I have always been responsible and on top of things, but I never considered myself a worrier before I had a kid. Now it seems like its all I do.

I do have an appointment with a regular doctor in about a week. I can't believe my girl has the kissin disease!

I will depart with one more Ella-ism from our car ride to the doctor today.
Her: Mama, what is the shell of an ant called again?
Me: Um, uh, mmm, I don't know
Her: Exoskeleton, right?

Yes, she was just testing me. She knew damn well what the answer was!

Added because so many people have asked:

Mononucleosis typically occurs the first time a person is infected with Epstein-Barr virus. Once a person is infected, the virus remains alive in the body for the rest of his or her life. After the initial infection, it rarely produces any kind of illness, but it can be transmitted to others. The initial infection with Epstein-Barr virus does not always cause mononucleosis. It often causes only a mild illness, like a cold, or no illness at all. Epstein-Barr virus permanently infects more than 90% of the people on Earth, but it causes mononucleosis only in a small minority of them.

Mononucleosis usually goes away on its own, and most treatment focuses on making the person more comfortable. Because there is no medical cure for mononucleosis, the basic treatment plan usually calls for getting plenty of rest and fluids and treating any uncomfortable symptoms. For example, cold drinks, frozen desserts and gargling with salt water can help to relieve minor sore throat pain. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin and others) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be taken to fight fever and body aches.




2 comments:

Summer said...

Wow! So how, exactly, did your FIVE YEAR OLD get MONO???


Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do!

I hope you don't have it and I hope everybody feels better soon!

You know, my boss recently asked me if I had mono because I told her I'd been so tired... I was sort of taken aback... first of all, No, second of all, YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO ASK ME THAT!

Flip-Flop Mama said...

I am starting to seriously think I may have it and may be the one who gave it to her. We kiss ALOT. LOL.

About a month ago I had EXTREME headache and neck ache and fever. Followed by about a week of weird joint pain. And I have been extremely tired. EXTREMELY. Like more than with both pregnancies.