Friday, October 20, 2006

Thoracocentesis #2

Yesterday went well. There was actually less fluid in the chest before the procedure than had been there at the previous week's follow-up sonogram, so we all took that as a good sign. Hubby is our layperson guide because he has some eerie ability to see and understand that black and white fuzzy sideways image. Oh, and also to remember. He mentioned to the doctor that it looked like less. The doc looked at the measurements to double-check but confirmed that yes, hubby was right. I thought they were gonna have him scrub in.

Still the fluid was there and it was compressing the left lung so they proceeded as planned to get the fluid out. Since I didn't even have mild sedation I remember it much more clearly than round 1. And no, it is not a comfortable procedure but it isn't horrible. If it wasn't such a crazy thing & happening to me personally it would be really interesting. So it was decided to not use an OR cause the labor and delivery floor was out of control. They did the procedure right there in the room. I thought they were just checking me out and the next thing I know I see a tray full of implements. I will say again, I love my perinatalogist. He is funny and human but extremely competent and in control. Exactly what you hope for when you are about to get poked through the uterus with no sedation. They did give me a percocet and a shot of lidocain. Still, as he said ... nothing local will numb the uterus, sorry. Still, it is amazing what a mom will go through for her kid. For my personal sake, I'd have been freaking out but since I know it was for him ... I just went very zen. Even when the needle got stuck on a rib (we think). This may seem to mean the doc doesn't know what he's doing but no .. think about it .. the kids chest cavity is probably 5-6 inches circumference. The ribs are tiny but very close together and how do you get in there without going through the ribs...you don't. Anyway he got in and drained the fluid. Hubby was right. They took about 15 ccs of fluid this time. They had removed 35 ccs the first time.

They kept me in observation for about 4 hours looking for contractions in me or distress in the baby and we were both perfect patients. We go on Monday for follow-up to see if the fluid is back and if it is more or less. Dr. G also said the general edema under the baby's skins has almost completely resolved. Another good sign. I am actually feeling that is it possible that the baby may be figuring out how to do what its supposed to do with this fluid and we have a shot at resolution. Of course, we just have to keep waiting and watching.

No comments: