Yesterday was a better day. Amazingly it is not because the status is better or has really changed much, it is simply because I saw Dr. Ghidini. The man has a way with words that just puts me at ease.
My mama came to town to join me as the timing didn't allow for little girl pick-up and both parents being at the appointment. I thought it was a nice gesture of my mom, but it was far more than that. I think I am so tough, but really having her there for even a simple non-invasive sonogram was very reassuring. I just can't believe how she & so many of our friends have really stepped up for us. THANK YOU!
Anyway, we asked a lot of questions and got some reassurance that the approach we are taking is just as it should be. I was fearful we were losing valuable time/not being aggressive enough. He really put my mind at ease that we were on the right track and taking the correct approach. Starting as least invasively as we can and then taking it up a notch if necessary. I was very concerned over a conversation I had with the other doctor a while back that I misinterpreted. MY understanding was that 22-24 weeks was critical for lung development. I am 23w, 2d. Yes, we are counting days now. So my thought was if we miss this window we are doomed. Well, the way Dr. G explained it was that 22-24 weeks is when lung development begins. So YES it is important for us to try to resolve this but its not like all hope is lost if by 24 weeks we haven't fixed the problem. Whew. That is a load off of my mind.
He sees a lot that is encouraging. For example, the baby's heart is great. The baby's movements are great & very active. Baby is breathing the amniotic fluid. Behaving exactly as should be EXCEPT for the damn fluid.
Yesterday's appt was primarily to check the fluid to determine if it was stable enough to wait until Thursday for drain #2. It was. The lung still has fluid on it and there is a bit in the abdomen and it is starting to minorly affect the other lung, but not severely. So it was decided to do another drain on Thursday. It can take up to 3 drains for this to resolve. If it doesn't resolve after this drain we are going to start thinking seriously about shunting.
If we go in that direction, I would most likely be referred to CHOP - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - for the placement of the shunt. But we won't move in the direction of even making that decision until at the earliest Monday when we see the result of the 2nd tap. If we do have to go there, we talked to our good friend and pediatrician and he says that CHOP is the best Children's hospital in the US. VERY reassuring. We all hope we don't have to go there. However, if we do it is nice to know it is the best.
Also, starting next week I will get steroid injections for the baby to help with lung (and all organ) maturation. Since preterm, premie delivery is often a complication with this and because I am getting very close to the realm of viability on the outside for this little one it is good to do everything we can to help him out. Again, our pediatrician says to not do the shots would just be crazy. So again I feel better about that!
Wish us luck. I am feeling hopeful today. At a minimum I know we are doing everything in our power to improve the odds for our outcome. We are doing everything we can for this sweet, tough baby boy who deserves no less. What is meant to be will for sure be. No matter what that is to be is not for me to decide. I just know that I will never regret doing everything I can to improve the odds and give him a fair shot.
Oh and we are skipping anesthesia this time in hopes that I won't be puking for 10 hours the next day!
No comments:
Post a Comment