Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Being Still

Being still is very difficult for me. Not in the physical sense. I am the best of all couch potatoes when my little ones allow me to be. On the other hand, finding mental stillness is very difficult for me. My mama asks me all the time, "Do you ever stop going?" and though I do sit still occasionally, my mind is difficult to quiet. I am not sure why, but I have always been this way.

Lately I find it is getting more and more difficult to quiet my mind and be still. Recently, as in two days ago, I decided to start walking again. Winter is a rough season for me. There is nothing I like about it, and I find myself going into a bit of a funk each year. Not something I would label as depression, more like an intense desire to hibernate. Think about it, you pack on some pounds and then go to sleep for the most dreary and cold of seasons only to awaken in Spring to chirping birds and green trees and colorful blooms.

Anyway, I find when I move my body is one of the few times my mind becomes clear and still. Quiet. Peaceful. And thus the walking.

Ray Lamontane's Be Here Now is in heavy rotation on the play list right now.

Don't let your mind get weary and confused
Your will be still, don't try
Don't let your heart get heavy child
Inside you there's a strength that lies
Don't let your soul get lonely child
It's only time, it will go by
Don't look for love in faces, places
It's in you, that's where you'll find kindness
Be here now, here now
Be here now, here now
Don't lose your faith in me
And I will try not to lose faith in you
Don't put your trust in walls
'Cause walls will only crush you when they fall
Be here now, here now
Be here now, here now

1 comment:

Diana said...

I completely understand and identify with this. I feel like my mind moves a million miles a minute, and it's often very hard for me to find any mental stillness. That's one of the reasons I like walking so much--as my feet race below me, it's one of the few opportunities I find for my mind to stop racing for a change!