I spent pretty much the entire day yesterday baking. Really, I started Friday night with the making of the Hot Trash (like a spicy homemade chex mix on crack) and Sweet and Spicy Bourbon Pecans. Mmmmmmmmm.....The house smelled amazing. The nuts didn't work out quite right and I was about to toss them (all 2lbs!!!) when I thought perhaps I should just roast/toast/bake them a bit more. I did that and OH MY. I had to cook them about 20 minutes longer than the recipe called for but the result was just as it should have been - more sweet than spicy but almost caramelized on the outside and crunchy. I may eat them all myself!
So yesterday morning began the sweet stuff. Two batches of chocolate chip cookies, 2 pans of 7-layer cookies, 2 pans of fudge! I still have to make the dough for Aunt Frances' Christmas Tree cookies. I saved the biggest PITA for last. I need to make it today so I can refrigerate it overnight. Then tomorrow while the kiddos are at school and daycare I can start the baking. Ella is really indifferent to the baking ... she's much more into the decorating. It will be so much easier that way! They are basically a vehicle for buttercream frosting. Mmmmmmmmmmm....its not Christmas to me without them, even though they really are a very large pain in the butt to make. The stand mixer makes it at least tolerable. I can't believe I used to make them with just a wooden spoon and elbow grease.
I am officially off now until January 5th. January 5th-8th I am in DC at a conference. January 9th is my usual Friday off, meaning I don't have to set foot in my office again until January 12th! The kids are still in school/daycare through Tuesday. So Monday and Tuesday will be my pull it all together days and then we get to just relax and enjoy the holidays.
1 comment:
Yummy! I'm already up in snowy New Jersey, but your cooking sounds so good that I might just show up on your doorstep later today or tomorrow. :) Merry Christmas to you, my dear friend!
Post a Comment