Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Word of the Day: Quadrilateral

Friday night we had guests over for a late dinner. Ella was up to greet them and then off to bed while we enjoyed grilled steaks and the works.

About 10 minutes into dinner I hear Ella coming back down the stairs and into the dining room.

Ella: "Mama, I forgot to tell you something. Do you know the word of the day?"

Me: "No."

Her: "Quadrilateral. Mama, do you know what that is?"

Me: "Of course I do."

Her: "Do you remember what a rhombus is?" (Its an equilateral quadrilateral, also known as a diamond)

Me: (searching my brain) "Of course. Similar to a square."

Her: "Mama, squares are so kindergarten."

Now, call me crazy but I am PRETTY certain I didn't learn about quadrilaterals and rhombuses (or is it rhombi) until oh I don't know GEOMETRY class. 1st grade, people. 1st grade.

2 comments:

Diana said...

She is brilliant! She's your daughter! (For the record, I'm not sure that I even used the word rhombus until 9th grade!!)

Flip-Flop Mama said...

I think maybe we should focus on the math and science side of her, because she is very much NOT into the reading and writing thing. She can do it, she just doesn't enjoy it.

We'll see...