Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Small Town America

And another thing. I grew up in a VERY small town, population around 800, so I feel qualified to speak to this topic.

I am struggling to understand how small town "values" have been taken as synonymous with moral, good, hardworking, and trustworthy. As if somehow those born and raised, or who simply choose to live, in a small town are obviously morally superior.

This is completely inconsistent with my significant experience as a child and young adult (age 3-18). Notably I remember racism, bigotry, sexism, and the tendency of the morally upright (or should I say uptight) to meddle in the business of everyone...particularly anyone who disagreed or lived their lives a little differently. Oh, and the hypocrisy. I remember a lot of that!

How is it that the republican party is so adamant about freedom for some but not for all?


(For the record, I love small towns, even the one I grew up in! I am aare that there are many hard working, smart, loving, tolerant people in small towns. I just don't appreciate or approve of the contrary implication that those who were born and raised in, or who simply choose to live in, large towns or cities are somehow morally bankrupt.)

No comments: