Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back Pain is Kicking my Ass

Ok, I am over it. It has been almost an ENTIRE month now of lower back pain that has migrated to my hip and upper left rear leg. I now completely understand why people with chronic pain go nuts. I am so tired of not being able to find a comfortable position, or pick up my child without a twinge or crushing pain, or SLEEP. Its the sleep that is killing me I think. I am one of the few mothers of a 5 month old who can say that what is keeping me up at night is NOT my child.

I've tried every remedy I know. Last week I went to my regular doc who immediately uttered the word "surgery" and wanted me to go on prednisone - HIGH doses of prednisone. NO thank you. He wanted me to go for an MRI and see another specialist. No thanks. So I called the place that fixed me last time this reared its ugly head ... hmmmmmm Ella was about, you guessed it, 5 months old. Seems as the short ones approach 20 lbs that's my backs limit!

So I call the Capital Spine and Pain Center or whatever it is called now and got an appointment for today. It went well. We got through the entire appointment without the mention of surgery. It helps they are commited to non-surgical interventions. So, off I went after that appointment, to get an MRI. The doc suspects a herniated disc. I suspect SI joint dysfunction. We'll see who wins tomorrow. I go back tomorrow to have the MRI read and to get an injection of cortisone if it is warranted. I am not sure how I feel about that but as my mom said "if you can handle a needle through your uterus surely you can handle one in your back!" We'll see! But something has got to give because this is kicking my ass big time. I hate it!

2 comments:

Summer said...

Yea!!!

And a cortisone shot won't have the same side-effects of oral steroids. It will also give immediate relief. We used to take our ancient hound for one every month and she pranced like a pony afterwards.

Summer said...

not that you have anything in common with an ancient hound dog, of course!