My boss, God love him, has basically made it impossible for me to ever leave my current organization. Well, as long as he is there anyway!
I've had the benefit for telecommuting 2 days a week (Tu/Th) since Ella was born. For some reason I think he thought I would quit. I didn't ask to telecommute. I was asked if I wanted to. Well, uh, hell YES!
As it is I have always had full-time childcare for her (and now for her brother). My telecommute days are days when I simply do what I do from home. My job is something that, with a few minor exceptions, can pretty much be done from anywhere. So aside from the occasional appointment I run to or minute taken to make a blog post, I am no more or less productive from home. Depending on the task, I can actually be MORE productive at home. So many less distractions. But I digress.
I have long thought about switching my Thursday telecommuting to Fridays. I just never got around to it. I have also long contemplated giving up one or both telecommuting days to be able to take advantage of our flexible work schedule, put in more hours in 9 days and get the 10th day free! I never could make the plunge. Never could talk myself into giving up the tc days. Well, it seems I don't have to.
Starting Monday my new schedule will be Monday, Wednesday, Thursday in the office, all Tuesdays telecommuting from home and Fridays will alternate between telecommuting and OFF. There is no net difference in the number of days I am physically in the office - still 3 a week either way. Yes, I will have a slightly longer work day on the days I work, by about 40 minutes. So worth it for an extra 26 Fridays a year off! So this is what they mean by golden handcuffs.
2 comments:
So when are you buying the beach house? I mean with all those 3 day weekends on the horizon....
I wish! The pool will have to do for the summer ;)
Post a Comment