Ella made me so proud the other day. We were talking about the end of the school year and how I hadn't heard her mention one of her buddies very often toward the end of the year. She looked at me and said that they were not really such good friends anymore. Me, being curious (and not being a big fan of this buddy anyway) asked why.
She turned to me and said, "Mama, she thought she was the boss of me. She's not. I am the boss of me. Me, and you and daddy!"
I distinctly remember the queen bee from elementary school. The foundation was established very early. If you didn't resist and stand up for yourself you were seen as an easy target. I want Ella to be kind and open to all types of friendships. Just as importantly, I want her to be aware enough to realize that in the real world we don't all always get along and cutting it off and moving on is sometimes the best decision she can make for herself!
Raising a girl is HARD, but at least I am using my experiences and learning from them in guiding her. I loved that her decision was pretty matter of fact, she wasn't worried about being ostracized or that she was 'hurting' someone's feelings. She wasn't mean or nasty. She just said enough is enough. I am moving on. Go, Ella!
No comments:
Post a Comment