Max, my little trooper & wonderful sleeper, has had a rough couple of nights. It started Monday night. He was very hard to settle and get to sleep. Usually even if he doesn't want to be in his crib (RARE), you can pick him up and he is instantly soothed. Always. Instantly. Bump the head? Pick me up. Soothed. Fall over? Pick me up. Soothed. Tired? Same thing. I don't think he has ever in his life cried inconsolably. Until Monday & Tuesday nights.
We finally got him settled Monday night though he woke and cried in the night. Also, extremely rare.
Then came last night. He had a great morning and a great day at Jeannies. Was happy at home. Had a nice dinner. Took his medicine and 20 minutes later we started heading south. It seemed like his stomach was bothering him. I suspect the Singulair. Top side effect is stomach pains. He cried and cried and cried from about 5:45 until 7:45. We called Dr. G at about 7 and he said to give him a 2nd dose of tylenol and give it 45 minutes. If he wasn't calmed in 45 minutes, we were to head to the ER. He continued to cry for about 30 more minutes before finally collapsing from exhaustion most likely and falling asleep. I was so rattled by the crying, and more likely the inability to help my normally placid little boy, that I was literally shaking by the time he fell asleep. He woke up this morning babbling and chipper as a jay bird!
We decided no more singulair. He got none tonight. He is fighting a cold as well, so he wasn't 100% himself but there wasn't any inconsolable crying.
I am usually not one to look at the medicine as a cause of any possible side effects. I know there could be a thousand things that caused his pain and suffering last night, but it just seems likely that it was the med. Hopefully, his wheezing will stay away and the weather and his health will hold until Spring!
Just listening to him cry for 2 hours shook me up, I can't imagine those parents who have to cope with a gravely ill and pained child. I just can't imagine the difficulty of dealing with that. And with that, I am grateful that my sweet boy seems to be doing just fine tonight. Tucked in and fast asleep.
For some reason it has me thinking about the lyrics of a song that I listened to over and over while I was pregnant, Chasing Cars. "I need your grace To remind me To find my own" So many lessons I have learned being the mom to this little one.
2 comments:
Oh, poor Max and poor Amy! It must be so hard when he can't tell you what hurts. The singulair is for the asthma, right? Is there an alternative available?
The singulair was basically a maintenance med to prevent him from having wheezing. We were supposed to be on it through the end of March. Dr. G said to cut it out and see how he does. Come on Spring!
Post a Comment