Friday, February 29, 2008

Max's 1 Year Check-up

Does this picture look like I am in for some trouble or what? This was taken a little while ago .. but still is pretty representative.

We finally made it to the one year check-up. A little delayed due to ear infections, breathing issues, colds, etc. You see they like them to be as healthy as possible when they do all that they do at the 1 year check.

2 shots, 1 rectal temperature (he really didn't like that), a blood draw, weigh-in and measurements, and some tears we are pleased to report ... he's growing!

The Stats -

Height: 32 inches (90%)
Weight: 30 lbs (more than 90% --- ok off the chart but only barely)
Head: 19 1/4 inches (90%)

They like all of these things to track proportionately over time. They do. Yay Max. I was worried because he doesn't consistently respond to his name when called. Ok, I was freaked, as this is a marker for autism. There are a lot of markers and nothing else applied, but again, this is me and my Max so mama's mind goes crazy. So Dr. G says, "Max" and he turns on a dime and looks at him directly in the eye. I roll my eyes. Dr. G says, "Now you say it" so I say "Max" and after the 2nd time he turns and looks at me as if to say "What?" Dr. G says it seems like its a matter of compliance not nonrecognition of his name, in other words, when I usually say it if he's engrossed in something he's probably just ignoring me. SHOCKING, I know! My mind is temporarily at ease. Its one of those things where it could be one of two situations: 1) I am totally paranoid or 2) my intuition is telling me something is off. Each scenerio is equally likely, which makes it particularly challenging.

Max is laughing, babbling, telling Butter "ah ah" when she barks, repeating us when we say "mama" or "dada" and trying like hell to say "ella", he also calls most everything "Ga"! I think he's a genius. Oh, and he is totally WALKING! He's not 100% steady and he still chickens out from time to time but he can take 5-6 steps at a time.

No comments: