Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Favorite Nephew

My husband has 4 older brothers. Thanks to all of them and my one older brother I am the proud aunt to 13! Yikes...there are 3 girls (not including my own) and 10 boys (also not including my own). But there is this one, to the left, aka Andy aka my 2nd son. Sometimes I call him my Maddox. I know its not PC but he's totally my favorite. (Andy if you are reading this please don't forward to your brother and sister! I love them very much too.)

He manages to drive me insane with his Hung-like behavior, but I am closer to him by a mile than all of the rest combined. I still remember the immediate stomach turning feeling I had when I first heard about the Virginia Tech shootings. I remember his voice on the other end of the line when he said he was ok and that he'd be sitting tight. I remember telling him to call me anytime, any place and I'd be on my way if he changed his mind. I remember the utter lack of hesitation when I got that call and drove the INSANELY long way there and back to pick him up and bring him home. I remember him with a backpack and trying to shove his bike in the back of my SUV. I remember feeling thankful that he was ok and that he was coming home.

We are close by virtue of the fact that for some strange reason he likes hanging out with us. He always has. I don't think its just the stocked pantry and fridge either, though I am sure that is a contributing factor.

I first met his uncle when he was younger than Ella. It has been amazing to watch his transformation from a little boy with a bit too much energy (or was it sugar) to an adolescent who just needed a ride to basketball practice to a young man who is interesting, passionate and fully engaged. He is one of the few teens I have ever known who genuinely likes to delve into deep conversations about politics, morals, the world.

He is intelligent, thoughtful, friendly, outgoing and open minded. Quirky and fun. Funny. He makes me laugh and he laughs at my jokes. I respect him and I feel respected by him. He is warm and real. There is no pretense or falseness. He recognizes the less pleasant side of life but he refuses to be drawn into it. He is positive, upbeat and creative. He even knows my dark, moody, grouchy side and he totally gets it. Sometimes I wish he would explain me to my husband.

He basically ran his own business over the summer and is willing and able to take risks I would have never considered at his age. He is the best older cousin my two kids could ask for. Both of them love him like a brother. Both miss him when he's away at school.

I am proud of him. As proud as if he truly were my own son. I am grateful that his parents found each other and produced such a great kid. I mean, young man. My heart, my home and my family are always open to him. I take it as a great compliment that he chooses my home as a 2nd home. Even if I complain about the grocery bill spiking over summer and winter breaks, I would not have it any other way. I am looking forward to him being around again in just a few weeks.

Happy 21st to my 3rd child. BE RESPONSIBLE as you celebrate. We love you!

2 comments:

Diana said...

This is so beautifully written. He is so lucky to have you as his aunt/second mom/friend.

ND Win said...

I love you Aunt Amy!

That has made my week.....or month.