Thursday, August 31, 2006

An Astronomy Lesson

As replayed to me by hubby.

The girl: "Daddy, what is a shooting star?"
Daddy: "Well, honey a shooting star is not really a star, it is a really hot piece of rock that is moving across the sky toward earth really fast."
The girl: "Oh, like a meteor?"

Upon relaying the story to me he says, "If I knew she knew what a meteor was I'd have explained it a little differently!" Better yet, he wouldn't have needed to explain it at all. It is sad when your daughter's knowledge of science has exceeded your own (mine in this case) and she's not even in school! I guess we shouldn't at all be surprised. She was not even quite 3 when we pointed to a picture in a book of a guy dressed in a space suit and said "Who's he?" Completely expecting her to say a space man. Nope, "an astronaut" was the answer. I think KK, who witnessed said event, almost fell off of the sofa.

That's ok I take credit for the exceptional verbal skills. I have always talked to her just like I'd talk to anyone - grown or not grown up. Hence ... astonishment, astronaut, PREDICAMENT! Ok, so she watches Pinky Dinko Doo too ... which emphasizes big words and their meaning.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Love it! "oh, like a meteor?" classic!

But then how do you know what she knows and what she doesn't? You don't want to not explain things, but you also don't want to assume she doesn't! Ah, parenting is tough!

Flip-Flop Mama said...

I think she is just testing us to see exactly how smart we are!