Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I must just be lucky

So I was reading through the Washington Post this morning and there is a new blogger about parenthood, specifically momdom. Anyway, it is ironically called "On Balance". However I am failing to see the balance. For example, today's post from the blogger:

Heart-to-Heart

While I was brushing my teeth recently, my husband looked at me in the mirror and asked:
"That stuff in your blog about how I don't help out with the kids, that's old stuff, right? Or at least an exaggeration?"
I thought about letting it pass. It was late, a bad time to risk a fight. But this blog is about telling the truth, so I did.
"No, honey. It's true. I just don't complain anymore. And I don't think it's your fault. You're just not as good at the childcare stuff as I am."
He didn't get angry. "But everyone tells me I'm such a great dad."
"You are a wonderful dad. You do a lot more with our kids than my dad or your dad did. But moms can never really work full-time unless husbands start doing more childcare and household stuff. You know, staying home for sick days, worrying about the kids' lunches, that kind of thing."
To my surprise, he looked contemplative, as if he were chewing on what I said. But at least there was no fight.

By Leslie Morgan Steiner

I don't know why, but this chick just annoys me to no end.

My husband is the most supportive, involved dad I've ever known. He is a dream when it comes to caring for our daughter. We both work full-time and he has always done at LEAST 50%, many times more, of the getting up in the middle of the night, taking off when she's sick, doctor's appts, baths, and so on. Plus, he is totally engaged with her and incredibly loving. His goal is to raise a determined, strong, smart girl. I often overhear him saying how strong she is and how he is so proud of her.

I travel for my work and he never once has complained about being a single parent for a week here or there. From day 1, he has encouraged me to have girl time and alone time. I would not be 1/2 the parent I am, or even sane for that matter if it were not for my husband. I did not grow up with a father, so it is truly a blessing to see - for my own sake but more so for my daughter's.

For us its really just the way it is -- and the way it should be. 50/50. Somedays I do 75 he does 25 but then the next he's doing 75 and I'm doing 25. We try to recognize when the other is nearing a breaking point and then step in and take over. It has made for a peaceful homelife & resulted in our daughter getting the best we can possibly provide. We're not perfect, but I see it could be so worse.


Him not participating equally just was never a possibly - for me, but more so for HIM.

No comments: