Friday, February 03, 2006

What is wrong with this picture?

Likes:

Flip-Flops
St. John, USVI
My daughter, who is lovely and almost 4
Hubby
Jon Stewart
Peace
Jack Johnson

Dislikes:

Stupidity
War
GWB

Well hi there! Welcome to my blog. I thought I would get those out there from the beginning. I am a 32 year old mother of one, wife, daughter who often finds herself just thinking WTF is going on in the world. I try to be good. I hope that others will also do their best, but still I often just wonder. What is going on?

So...where to begin? I was struck the other night while watching Jon Stewart (yep, he's a fav) by his commentary on the James Frey Oprah debacle. So here's a guy who writes a book about his life and lies and gets raked completely over the coals. By the way, there's this other guy who basically lied about many, many things to an entire country and yet nothing. I mean Clinton got a little action, lied about it and was impeached. This guy does things that have likely irreparably harmed our country and nothing, nada, zip. But yeah, James Frey is the reason for the end of morality.

I have to say I bought the book. I loved the book. I recommended the book to friends. Guess what? Yep, I still like the book. Here's my take. This guy wrote a novel based loosely on his life. Tried to sell said novel. Novel didn't sell. It came across a publisher's desk who said "hey, we could sell this as a memoir. Is this a memoir?" Sure its a memoir. It gets published. Never in a million years did the guy think he'd be on Oprah or make the best sellers list. Did you see him on the first, praised Oprah? He looked like a guy who'd just won the lottery not some evil up to no good hookwinker! He didn't go to Oprah and say please make my book your pick. She picked it. Her staff failed to fact-check it. The publisher failed to fact-check it. But he's the bad guy. Yeah, ok. But no now we all need to sue him and the publisher? WTF?

Its sort of like the gal who sued Mcdonalds because the coffee was too hot and she spilled it on herself. Now there is a guy suing Apple because ipods (with earphones) can cause hearing loss! Like I said ... what is wrong with this picture?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Precisely! WTF??? We have this nasty culture of blame and finger-pointing. No one takes personal responsibility. And it definitely starts at the very top...our pres will go to war if he thinks someone looked at him funny...